Thursday, January 17, 2013

Scribbles Stamping Letter FUN!!

SO LAST YEAR...
                            yeah I said Last Year...
                                                                     I know I know...

Anyways... Last Year our YOUNG WOMEN had a WONDERFUL idea for our weekly activity!!
They decided they wanted to write letters to our Missionaries. We currently have two missionaries out serving, and we thought it would be nice to send them something to remember US by!
SO we came up with THIS...
The "Here Lies Elder..." Missionary Pillow
And this is how I made them...
I got THESE amazing Stamp Letters from ilovetocreate.com. I just LOVE this set!
It has all the upper and lowercase letters, punctuation marks and 6 fabric paint colors with paint brushes...
I opted to try the Stamp Pad instead of the paint.
I thought it would be less mess, and I could do it faster this way...
It took me a little bit to find all the letters I would need AND follow the instructions on the back of the Stamp Pad... but I was READY to go! I laid out the letters on the pillow case so I would know where to place them. This is an important step to take!! Then, I opened my stamp pad and gently pushed my first letter into the ink. Then I took the letter stamp and pushed it down (pretty hard). I noticed that the first letter I stamped was not as dark as I would have liked it... so I just re-inked the letter stamp (a little less gently this time) and went over where I had previously stamped. And it looked perfect! It was easy to line up the letter stamp the second time, no problem! I did have to re-ink and stamp every letter; but I am sure this is due to the GREEN pillowcase that I opted to use. Dark colors need a little more ink I suppose...
I cleaned out the letters right away in my kitchen sink and left them on a paper towel to dry. After I had Stamped out my Saying, I let it sit overnight. (the instructions said I only needed to wait 3 hours, but I was not ready to complete this project that day... so it sat a little longer) The next morning I pulled out my Ironing Board and Iron. This in itself is a HUGE feat... my poor iron and board RARELY get used; (and unfortunately I hear about from "those we do not speak of"... I TRY to buy clothes that do not need to be ironed... I HATE ironing) Anyways... sorry for that rant...
I put a thin piece of fabric between the iron and my craft and applied heat. The instructions said to "Heat dry iron to cotton setting; place a thin cloth over designs and apply heat for 2 minutes."
After that was complete; I washed them inside out and put them in the dryer on low. I did not wash them with anything else, I was worried the ink may have run... so I can't say if that happened or not. After they were done I turned them right side and was happy to see my project complete!!
The girls wrote the letters that night and we put them inside the pillowcases! And they are READY to go! Quick Easy FUN idea!!

No comments: